Re: Urging for solution to the slow NEW queue process

Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 07:08:21AM +0000, Lumin wrote:
>> Briefly speaking, if a DD was told that "Thank you for your contribution
>> to Debian but please wait for at least 2 months so that your package
>> can enter the archive.", will the DD still be motivated working on NEW
>> packages??? Please convince me if you think that doesn't matter.
> But most DDs already know about this?
>
>> Let's have a look a this chart[2]. Obviously the NEW queue became
>> somewhat weirdly long since about a year ago. We can also move
>> to the middle part of this page[3] where we can estimate a median
>> number of time for a package to wait in the NEW queue. The median is
>> **2 month**. Things has been going in the BAD direction compared
>> to the past.
> There are 287 packages on that page.
> 154 of them have "node-" in the name.

Of the packages that have been in the queue for more than 3 months, only
3 are not node packages.

Looking at the oldest item in the queue (node-mimelib, 7 months), I see
that the upstream README[1] was changed on Mar 11th to read:

  NB! This project is deprecated

  All users of this project are urged to find an alternative as it is not maintained anymore.

Obviously, this is nothing to do with whatever caused it to become stuck
in NEW, but it strikes me as symptomatic of the state of the node
ecosystem, which hardly makes things easy for those packaging node
packages, nor for the ftp-masters.

If one excludes the node packages, the current state of NEW looks rather
good.  It suggests[2] that the average wait for non-node packages is
about a fortnight.

This is something for which I think we should be congratulating the
ftp-masters.

Cheers, Phil.

[1] https://github.com/andris9/mimelib
[2] of course, if hundreds of packages were whizzing through in under an
    hour, that would not be visible by glancing at the NEW queue, so the
    queue doesn't give a full picture.