Re: Usage of real m68k hardware

Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> writes:
> On 03/28/2018 07:26 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Back when I was maintaining OpenAFS, I frequently wanted some way as a
>> maintainer to easily tag a package as "this will never for the
>> forseeable future be supported on this architecture" and move on.  We
>> don't have a great mechanism for doing this right now -- there's a
>> thing on the buildds that's pretty opaque and that I don't know how to
>> set as a maintainer, and one can list a bunch of specific architectures
>> on the package but that's really awkward and interacts poorly with
>> arch: all packages.

> The recommended way today is to annotate within the package. It does not
> actually interact poorly with arch:all packages. When dpkg builds the
> source package and there's no arch:any package it will list all
> architectures explicitly in the .dsc and if there's an arch:all package
> all will be added in addition.

Ah, good to know.  However, this still means that you have to explode
"any" into a list of every architecture Debian supports except one or two,
and then every time someone wants to port Debian to a new architecture,
they have to ask you to change your package (my prior experience is that
the package would work on new architectures more often than not, since
they were often variations of existing supported architectures, like
64-bit versions of things that already worked with 32 bits).

So unless I'm missing something this still seems less than ideal....