Re: Packaging examples

On Mon, 2018-02-26 at 00:04 +0000, Craig Small wrote:
> Not all upstream Makefiles are that good. My preference would be if
> their Makefile is doing the right thing then use that and have no
> debian/foo.examples file.

Ah, that makes sense. Since the debianization is suppose to happen
without having to change upstream's tarball (notwithstanding quilt
patches), .examples would be the only way for debhelper to know what
upstream intended to be example files.

> The main thing is that the example files get put in the right spot
> and it's clear to someone how those files arrive there.
>
> The only other catch is to ensure the install-examples or whatever
> the Makefile target is called is actually run; either directly out of
> debian/rules or as part of the Makefile install target.

Mine is definitely called. The install target is placing everything as
expected in $prefix/share/doc/mypackage/examples. If you have any
suggestions, I'm all ears:

https://github.com/cartesiantheatre/narayan-designer/blob/master/Makefile.am

--
Kip Warner | Senior Software Engineer