Re: Debian part of a version number when epoch is bumped

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 7:57 AM, Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> wrote:
>  ❦ 14 février 2018 12:53 +0100, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> :

>>> Depends on what you mean by hurt. I see epochs being used w/o much
>>> tought or care, on many situations where they are not supposed to be
>>> used, and they are permanent stigmas.
>>
>> I wonder where this representation of "epoch" as a "stigma" comes from.
>> They're a part of a version number. They're as much a stigma as the "57"
>> in "libavcodec57". What's the big deal? Just use it if you need to, and
>> be done with it.
>>
>> There's really really really nothing wrong with using an epoch. If some
>> of our (or someone else's) infrastructure has issues dealing with them,
>> then that's a bug in the infrastructure and we should fix it. But nobody
>> should be afraid of using an epoch when the upstream version number
>> changes incompatibly, because *that's what they're for*.
>
> It's not only an infrastructure problem. If you Depends on X (>= 1.8),
> this will be true with X 1:1.6 as well.

In the particular case of gnome-calculator, virtually nothing depends
on a particular version of gnome-calculator. And in this case, it's
probably better for me to just go ahead and upload the epoch bump,
upsetting a few people, but it's not really a big deal at all and
saves a bunch of needless work in the long run.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha