Re: Maintaining a custom out-of-tree patched Debian kernel for specific hardware

Dear Jonas,

Good to hear from you.
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 04:29:22PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Hi Kumar,
>
> Quoting Kumar Appaiah (2018-01-22 15:08:41)
> > I am part of a team working on getting Debian on low cost laptops (see
> > http://www.rdp.in for details) so that they can be sold with Debian
> > preinstalled.
>
> Looks quite interesting! Thanks for packaging raising questions here.
>

> > 1. The laptop will ship with stretch preinstalled, but with a custom
> > kernel built using the linux-source-x.xx.xx package with a custom
> > version number, such as linux-image-4.14.13-iitb-amd64.
> >
> > 2. The installation will contain a package called
> > linux-image-iitb-amd64 that conflicts with linux-image-amd64, and this
> > package will depend on the latest patched kernel built in the previous
> > step.
>
> Specifically regarding repackaging and versioning of derived packages, I
> recommend that you follow the guidelines for Derivatives:
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines#Packages
>
> You might find other things in that and related wiki pages useful too
> :-)

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind. The only point I'd like to emphasize
is that we are clear that ours will NOT be a derived distribution; our
Debian will have only a few kernel line diffs with the pristine
Debian, and no further changes. And, like I have pointed our to Ian,
we intend informing the users that this is the case, and provide the
changes we have made through the same distribution channel as our
modified packages.

Thanks again!

Kumar
--
lp1 on fire
(One of the more obfuscated kernel messages)