Re: Maintaining a custom out-of-tree patched Debian kernel for specific hardware

Hi,

what about ripping out the affected kernel modules and provide the
patched sources in a separate package and have them built at install
time via DKMS?

In order to not interfere with the modules provided by the linux-image-*
packages, you could

- rename the kernel modules provided by your module package
- add the original module names to a blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d
- add your modules to /etc/modules-load.d/something
- and finally add the blacklist and load list to your package as well.

(An alternative to changing module names might be to use
update-alternatives or dpkg-divert and just provide/integrate the
renamed .ko files)

The initial setup of the packaging/build script will require a bit of
fiddling around but in the long run you'll be able to provide your users
with updates much faster and without havingt to go through the
time-consuming kernel build process. Moreover, the required storage and
bandwith for the infrastructure holding your repository will be tiny
compared to those for holding a full-blown kernel package.

Cheers

Daniel