Re: Maintaining a custom out-of-tree patched Debian kernel for specific hardware

Hi Kumar,

Quoting Kumar Appaiah (2018-01-22 15:08:41)
> I am part of a team working on getting Debian on low cost laptops (see
> http://www.rdp.in for details) so that they can be sold with Debian
> preinstalled.

Looks quite interesting! Thanks for packaging raising questions here.

> 1. The laptop will ship with stretch preinstalled, but with a custom
> kernel built using the linux-source-x.xx.xx package with a custom
> version number, such as linux-image-4.14.13-iitb-amd64.
>
> 2. The installation will contain a package called
> linux-image-iitb-amd64 that conflicts with linux-image-amd64, and this
> package will depend on the latest patched kernel built in the previous
> step.

Specifically regarding repackaging and versioning of derived packages, I
recommend that you follow the guidelines for Derivatives:
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines#Packages

You might find other things in that and related wiki pages useful too
:-)

 - Jonas