Re: Why do we list individual copyright holders?

Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> writes:
>  ❦  1 janvier 2018 11:31 -0800, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> :

>> So that when someone does have a chance to update the package, they
>> know where to start from when reading the upgrading checklist.

> I never do that and I don't intend to do that in the future. Packaging
> is already too much time-consuming. My assumption is that I know the
> policy good enough to just follow the latest version. When packaging for
> the first time, I won't re-read all the policy either.

> Other answers agree with you, but I believe people not reviewing the
> checklist won't just tell it here since they may not like being shamed
> or doctored (not my case, don't worry).

Others may feel differently, but I'd prefer if you just didn't update
standards version at all for your packages in that case.  I think that
would be fine -- you're indicating that you're not reviewing all changes
to Policy in a systematic way.  Should you have (or later get)
co-maintainers for your package, they'll see that this is something they
could do if they wished and enjoyed that work more than you do.