Re: Why do we list individual copyright holders?

 ❦  1 janvier 2018 11:31 -0800, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> :

>>> Purpose of the Standards-Version field is *not* to keep you busy
>>> silencing corresponding lintian warning, but to state which version of
>>> Debian Policy the package is verified to comply with.
>
>> And why is it useful to know something like that?
>
> So that when someone does have a chance to update the package, they know
> where to start from when reading the upgrading checklist.

I never do that and I don't intend to do that in the future. Packaging
is already too much time-consuming. My assumption is that I know the
policy good enough to just follow the latest version. When packaging for
the first time, I won't re-read all the policy either.

Other answers agree with you, but I believe people not reviewing the
checklist won't just tell it here since they may not like being shamed
or doctored (not my case, don't worry).

>> If we don't comply with the latest policy, this is considered a serious
>> bug. We would spare a lot of developer time by not using this field
>> anymore.
>
> Most changes to Policy are not serious bugs.  We try to avoid that sort of
> disruption.  Most of the changes are incremental, and can be batched for
> when you have time.  It doesn't particularly matter when you switch URLs
> to https or add upstream signing keys for verification.
>
> If you don't have a lot of time for Debian and are trying to keep packages
> updated with new upstream releases, I think there's some merit to doing
> regular uploads of new upstream packages while only checking Lintian
> errors, and then once per release cycle do a standards version update and
> deeper Lintian run with warnings and even info tags.  That keeps the
> package decrufted, while batching the work a little rather than feeling
> obligated to do it on every upload.

Doing it at each new upstream version gives me a little motivation to do
it on the spot since I get a new upstream version packaged in the
process. No way I'll get the motivation to do batch of dozens of
package. But since I understand this is acceptable to just ignore
Lintian warnings and to keep the policy version untouched, I am also
fine with this solution.
--
The lunatic, the lover, and the poet,
Are of imagination all compact...