Re: Why do we list individual copyright holders?

Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> writes:
>  ❦  1 janvier 2018 17:47 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> :

>> Purpose of the Standards-Version field is *not* to keep you busy
>> silencing corresponding lintian warning, but to state which version of
>> Debian Policy the package is verified to comply with.

> And why is it useful to know something like that?

So that when someone does have a chance to update the package, they know
where to start from when reading the upgrading checklist.

> If we don't comply with the latest policy, this is considered a serious
> bug. We would spare a lot of developer time by not using this field
> anymore.

Most changes to Policy are not serious bugs.  We try to avoid that sort of
disruption.  Most of the changes are incremental, and can be batched for
when you have time.  It doesn't particularly matter when you switch URLs
to https or add upstream signing keys for verification.

If you don't have a lot of time for Debian and are trying to keep packages
updated with new upstream releases, I think there's some merit to doing
regular uploads of new upstream packages while only checking Lintian
errors, and then once per release cycle do a standards version update and
deeper Lintian run with warnings and even info tags.  That keeps the
package decrufted, while batching the work a little rather than feeling
obligated to do it on every upload.