Re: Why do we list individual copyright holders?

]] Vincent Bernat

>  ❦  1 janvier 2018 17:47 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> :
>
> > Purpose of the Standards-Version field is *not* to keep you busy
> > silencing corresponding lintian warning, but to state which version of
> > Debian Policy the package is verified to comply with.
>
> And why is it useful to know something like that?

Because you can then you can focus on the particular changes from
when-last-synced-with-Policy rather than checking the entirety of the
package against all of Policy.

> If we don't comply with the latest policy, this is considered a
> serious bug.

No, it's not.  Not complying with policy is anything from wishlist to
critical all depending.

> We would spare a lot of developer time by not using this field
> anymore.

I don't think so, I think we save quite a bit of effort by having it due
to the aforementioned reasons.

--
Tollef Fog Heen