Re: ISO download difficult (was: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint))

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 05:57:21PM +0000, Dr. Bas Wijnen wrote:
> > > they will most likely simply not understand the point, and what makes
> > > free hardware so much better.
> >
> > > massively encourage users to use non-free hardware
> >
> > > link to a page suggesting free hardware over similar non-free hardware
> >
> > There is no such thing. There is only non-free hardware without updates
> > for its software.
>
> I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
I'm trying to say that there is nothing to promote, and anyone who wants
to promote hardware that doesn't require loading non-free firmware must
understand that it's not "hardware that doesn't require non-free firmware
at all" and thus is not "free hardware".

> Toni's suggestion seems to be to tell those people that Debian can indeed
> install on their hardware, while educating them about the problems of it.
Yes, and I point at the problems in the "educating" part. If we want to
educate other people we should first educate ourselves.

--
WBR, wRAR