Re: salsa.debian.org (git.debian.org replacement) going into beta

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 04:11:29PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 12/28/2017 02:33 AM, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 7:07 PM, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo
> > <manuel.montezelo@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If the idea is *not* to move those to @lists.d.o, I cannot see what we
> >> should be using instead.
> >>
> >> Any recommendation?
> >
> > Someone on your team should create a Tracker Team. Add the packages
> > your team maintains.
> >
> > https://tracker.debian.org/teams/
> >
> > Then anyone can simply join that tracker team to easily get
> > notifications about bugs, commits, uploads, etc. Visit
> > https://tracker.debian.org/accounts/subscriptions/ and customize the
> > keywords to get the particular emails you want for particular packages
> > or teams.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeremy Bicha
>
> Nice idea, but it doesn't scale. Am I suppose to add all of the
> (currently) 406 OpenStack maintained packages one by one, by hand? And
> then upload 406 times just to change the maintainer field? Gregor just
> pointed out the 3500 packages of the perl team. There will be others
> (think: javascript/nodejs, python, etc.). Even worse: some packages
> *will* be forgotten, and there *will* be bug reports that will go to
> nowhere because the fields were not addressed.
>
> I don't understand that there's no consensus we'd be collectively
> wasting too much time doing this type of change, when it could simply be
> addressed by keeping the current lists. This is a major disruption of
> services that we're talking about here.

This manual adding is only needed if you don't use a single email
address as maintainer ... if you do have a single maintainer address for
all packages, you just provide it and the package tracker _will_ group
all the packages automatically.