Re: salsa.debian.org (git.debian.org replacement) going into beta

Mehdi Dogguy <mehdi@dogguy.org> writes:
> On 26/12/2017 15:05, Ole Streicher wrote:
>> Mattia Rizzolo <mattia@debian.org> writes:
>>>
>>> That's now fixed, and you can use $package@packages.debian.org in the
>>> Maintainer field.
>>
>> So, one should use f.e.
>>
>> Maintainer: Debian Science Team <cminpack@packages.debian.org>
>>
>> to indicate it is a team maintained package? The field is not only used
>> to give a contact address, but also to get an idea who is actually
>> maintaining a package. For example, I feel much more attracted to fix a
>> bug in a package that is maintained by a team where I am member of, and
>> I would like to see this directly instead of needing to search whether
>> it is among the 1000 Debian Science packages.
>
> I agree with your reasoning. I just wanted to highlight that the situation
> is in fact worse with the "Team foo <bar@packages.debian.org>" schema: Our
> tools do not seem ready for that yet.

I fully agree here. It makes pages like

https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=debian-astro-maintainers%40lists.alioth.debian.org

quite nonfunctional. And they are even not simple to restore with the
name, since there is no really canonical name for the teams: The Debian
Astro team is sometimes called (even by myself):

* Debian Astro Maintainers
* Debian Astronomy Maintainers
* Debian Astro team
* Debian Astro Team
etc.

What is unique is just the mail adress.

However, in principle this *may* be the discussion list address. I would
even prefer that, since the package maintainer address is quite
prominently presented everywhere, and therefore often used by people to
contact us. In the debian-astro-maintainers@alioth.d.o this has the
danger to get lost between upload confirmations and bug processing
mails.

To change the team address to the discussion list (@lists.d.o) would
however require that the automated mails (uploads, bug mails) are not
longer forwarded to that address. I also don't see a need for this,
since the subscription on tracker.d.o allows a much more fine-grained
access here.

Are there any plans (or already possibilities) to disable the
processing/bug mail forwarding to the maintainer address?

> A team needs a single point of contact and foo@packages.debian.org doesn't
> provide that. Or we need other means to identify teams (and using a regexp
> on names attached to an email address is not a solution).

A team usually has a discussion list, and this is also the point of
contact for a human. I would rather not like to have robots there.

Best regards

Ole