Re: Why do we list individual copyright holders?

Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> writes:

> As an example, the spelling errors are useful for debian/ directory (as
> informational), but totally useless for upstream stuff. For me, they are
> not worth telling upstream, they are not worth adding to an override
> (which could become outdated and give you another lintian warning).

This is the sort of thing that makes me feel like you have your Lintian
settings turned up too high for the amount of nit-picking that you want.
The spelling tags that apply to upstream files are
spelling-error-in-manpage and spelling-error-in-binary, which are
informational only.  These are intentionally not shown by default to avoid
warning fatigue.  The assumption is that someone who turns them on is
seeking out a pickier set of warnings.

For the record, my upstreams have always been quite happy to take patches
that fix small spelling errors like that, and they're often a trivial
GitHub pull request that upstream can merge in five minutes, but I totally
understand why people might not want to bother.  Hence informational.