Re: Why do we list individual copyright holders?

On 12/19/2017 10:47 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
> We (the Debian Project) don't have to accept being the *only* ones
> shouldering this burden. Large upstream organisations have large
> shoulders.
>
> Surely a team responsible for a large code base also must – to avoid
> self-delusion – confront the need to know, with confidence that comes
> from standard, verifiable documentation, the provenance of works from
> which their code base is derived.

I wish you good luck with that. I attempted *twice* to have the
copyright holder information attached to each upstream project on
upstream OpenStack, and twice this was a failure. Maybe I'm not good
with communication, but I don' think it's the bigger factor. I just
think upstream doesn't care, they (wrongly) think that licensing is
enough, when clearly, it's not for Debian (we also care the copyright
holding part).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)