Re: Please add lzip support in the repository

Maria Bisen <mariabisen@gmail.com> writes:

> After reading again Guillem Jover's answer it seems to me that the only
> marketing campaign here is Debian against lzip. Even if you don't like
> something, for whatever personal reasons, I don't think it's fine to
> influence thousands of people, and Debian has the capacity to do so.

You seem to be extremely confused about how this conversation keeps
starting.

Debian has never expressed any opinion about lzip outside of our project
mailing lists.  The only reason why it's even on our radar is that
proponents of lzip keep *coming here* and trying to push it on us.  Some
of them are polite about it, and we've had polite conversations as a
result.  Some of them were obnoxious, aggressive, and unproductive.  This
is a problem for us; being able to work together in a productive and
respectful fashion with our upstreams matters just as much as technical
features.

If you want us to stop expressing opinions about lzip, stop coming on our
mailing lists and trying to shove lzip down our throats.  It's that
simple.

If this aggressive marketing of lzip is typical of the lzip community and
the style of interactions we would have to have with the project, that is,
by itself, an *excellent* reason to not use it.