Re: Please add lzip support in the repository

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, but I think this needs a clarification.

Ian Jackson wrote:

> For Debian binary and source packages, there is no benefit in ECC
> in the compression layer.
>
> I'm not sure why all of this isn't obvious.
>
> As an aside: I am sceptical of the value of ECC as part of a general
> purpose compression scheme.  That proponents of lzip are pushing this
> as an advantage merely adds to the scepticism which their marketing
> campaign is generating in my mind.

There must be a misunderstanding here. On this thread you have been
criticizing lzip and its "proponents" on the basis of a false claim (that lzip
contains ECC). It's easy verifiable that lzip format doesn't contain any ECC:

http://www.nongnu.org/lzip/manual/lzip_manual.html#File-format

After reading again Guillem Jover's answer it seems to me that the only
marketing campaign here is Debian against lzip. Even if you don't like
something, for whatever personal reasons, I don't think it's fine to influence
thousands of people, and Debian has the capacity to do so.

Maria Bisen