Re: Please add lzip support in the repository

Hi Russ,

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Debian has never expressed any opinion about lzip outside of our project
> mailing lists.  The only reason why it's even on our radar is that
> proponents of lzip keep *coming here* and trying to push it on us.  Some
> of them are polite about it, and we've had polite conversations as a
> result.

My first message was polite, I think, but it received at least one aggressive
answer.

Also, I think the issue here it's not just proponents of lzip "coming here", but
Debian people "going out", in what I reckon can be a conflict of interest. For
example, in this same thread we can read:

Russ Allbery wrote:

> We're very unlikely to adopt lzip as a native upstream tarball
> format until it is in very widespread use elsewhere.

And when Octave switched from xz to lzip, the following message was
received in the Octave list:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2017-06/msg00037.html

Mike Miller wrote:

> Can we bring back the octave-x.y.z.tar.xz source format for future
> official releases?
> ... IMHO including .tar.xz would be a nice improvement in the Debian
> packaging domain.

Doesn't this mean that Debian has a COI? It establishes a criterion to adopt
a format and then tries to influence upstreams so the criterion is not met.

As an user of Octave who wish to see more lzip adoption, I don't think this to be fair.

Maria Bisen