Re: DEP 15: Reserved namespace for DD-approved non-maintainer changes

On 06/19/2017 05:37 PM, Sean Whitton wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 08:56:14AM -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 5:18 AM, Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> wrote:
>>> Someone might contribute a fix in the form of a PR, and an uploader of
>>> the package might review that fix and determine that it should be
>>> merged.  They then look at the master branch and decide that it should
>>> not go into the next upload, for whatever reason.  So they can merge the
>>> PR to next/sid.
>>
>> Respectfully, why?
>
> There are various situations in which this could come up.
>
> A package might have multiple uploaders, with one or two of them working
> on a big, potentially disruptive upload.  A third uploader, not involved
> in the current work, might want to review and merge uploadable changes,
> without interfering with the work going on in the master branch.  They
> can put them on the next/foo branch.

But that doesn't need a separate area to push this with special
restrictions for who can push there: this can just be done into
a separate branch in the repository by the people who already
have access to said repository. And from a maintainer point of
packaging repository of a new branch than to push to a new
remote specifically created for this.

If you want to standardize this a bit, why not update DEP14 then
to include recommendations for how these kinds of branches should
be named? Even though I do think this is going to be a rather
rare situation, I can see the merit of having a recommended
convention for this. But that would fit far better into DEP14
IMHO.

But I still fail to see any advantage of the technical solution
you suggested in the start of the thread, with all the permission
checks and so on.

Regards,
Christian