Why do we list individual copyright holders?

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:46:00 PM CST Steve Robbins wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:00:10 AM CST Chris Lamb wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry for the rejection but "Copyright: See individual source files"
> > unfortunatley does not meet the high standards we strive for within
> > Debian.
>
> That is odd.  It has been accepted for over 16 years.   What has changed?

[...]

> Why shouldn't we have some way to say "Copyright by the Boost authors"?

It was pointed out [1] that the linux-image copyright file contains
"Copyright: 1991-2012 Linus Torvalds and many others".

So: if I changed the boost copyright file to say "Copyright: $Dates Boost
authors", would it pass ftp-master scrutiny?

Thanks,
-Steve

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/08/msg00181.html