Re: Has Copyright summarizing outlived its usefulness?

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 11:26:31 AM CST Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 at 23:46:00 -0600, Steve Robbins wrote:
> > On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:00:10 AM CST Chris Lamb wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Sorry for the rejection but "Copyright: See individual source files"
> > > unfortunatley does not meet the high standards we strive for within
> > > Debian.
> >
> > [For] a massive multi-author, multi-year work like Boost, there seems very
> > little value in summarizing copyrights.  Boost has nearly 55000 files in
> > the source distribution.  What could one possibly achieve by summarizing
> > this? How would anyone even read and make sense of it?
>
> I've written about this before, for example in
> <https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/08/msg00181.html>, and I'd be
> very glad to see an "official" response from the ftp team.

It would, indeed, be nice to get a rationale for summarizing a file-by-file
list of copyrights.

I re-read that 2016 thread just now and it seems to me that most of the
discussion centres around summarizing the LICENSE(s) of the resulting work.  I
agree that knowing the license of a package is useful.  Having 55000 copyright
lines is not.

Perhaps we should deprecate debian/copyright and just create debian/license
instead!

> For a large package, gathering the list of copyright holders from
> the source into debian/copyright is clearly a lot of work. Is there a
> rationale for why we do that work? Is it self-imposed (because there
> is believed to be consensus within Debian that we want it), or is it
> to comply with the requirements of that particular package's copyright
> license, or is it to meet some other legal requirement?

It's telling to me that there was *no* answer to your question in the 2016
thread.  I have only been around Debian for 20 years.  Maybe someone with a
longer history can recall the reasoning behind the copyright file?

-Steve