Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Adam Borowski wrote:

> It might be less disruptive to add a new field like Subsection; that'd avoid
> the need to change any of archive tools -- including ones not used on the
> official archive, like reprepro.
> Because Section: implies an unique section, while we want the same package
> to be present in both non-free and non-free/firmware, I'd suggest
> Subsection: or abusing debtags instead.

We are talking about sub-*components* here not sub-*sections*.
Sections are only simple tags, they don't affect the archive structure
at all, except through the component, because the current Section
field conflates the component (main/contrib/non-free) and the section
(sound/kernel/etc).

I would either continue the conflation and go with:

Section: component/subcomponent/section
Section: non-free/firmware/sound

Or get rid of the conflation:

Section: section
Component: component/subcomponent

Section: sound
Component: non-free/firmware

Or for even more separation:

Component: component
Subcomponent: subcomponent
Section: section

Component: non-free
Subcomponent: firmware
Section: sound

> Turns out you don't need to mess with dak; it's an one-liner to produce such
> a Packages file
> Obviously encapsulating such a feature as an option of dak would be
> reasonable, but it's in no way dak exclusive.

Sure, but if we want them on ftp.debian.org (the main place we want to
use them) we need to modify or configure dak to generate them :)

> Apt (and aptitude) should work flawlessly: there's security.debian.org
> jessie/updates, and we had non-free/non-us in the past.

FYI ftpmasters vetoed the proposal of using the syntax
non-free/firmware in the component. They also want to kill
jessie/updates and rename it to jessie-security.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise