Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 1:46 AM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:

> * splitting non-free in subsets;
> * adding a non-free-firmware area;

I think we don't want either of these, instead we should *add*
additional Packages files for each of the classes of non-free things
that people want to be able to isolate from the rest of non-free,
"firmware" being the first one and probably the only one.

After talking with the apt maintainers on IRC and some
experimentation, I think this is doable and it definitely does not
require the GR process.

The parts that need to be patched seem to be:

Each firmware package to use 3-part Section fields like
non-free/firmware/sound. Initially dak could override all of the
packages we want in that subcomponent.

dak for dealing with 3-part Section fields, adding the new
non-free/firmware component, generating the new Packages files and
adding them to Release files.

d-i for adding the non-free/firmware component instead of non-free.

Possibly aptitude/packages.d.o/lintian for dealing with 3-part Section fields.

Policy for describing 3-part Section fields and listing allowed ones.

Alternatively, we could end the conflation between the Section and
Components but that would require more changes.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise