Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 11:46:37PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Dec 04, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > +1.  I think firmware is something conceptually different than non-free
> > software in general, and it would be good to give users a simple way to
> > choose to enable non-free firmware without enabling other non-free
> > software.
> Me too.
> Mostly everybody believed this until at some point we had "editorial"
> changes to the Social Contract.

How exactly firmware is not software?

We may take a concession and offer non-free or parts of non-free more
prominently (as it's needed on modern x86, all wifi cards I've seen, etc),
but let's not declare that non-software.

Thus, until the situation improves:
* let's make the non-free iso download more obvious
* explain why it's bad.  No quotes from Stallman -- they're opaque to most
  users, quotes from Linus would be better.

On the other hand, there's only 297 non-free packages in Debian, thus I
don't see a benefit in splitting that further.  Most of it is firmware or
docs with unmodifiable parts anyway.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ 14:13 < icenowy[m]> are they hot enough? ;-)
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ 14:17 < icenowy[m]> I think now in Europe it should be winter? Let