Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

On Mon, 04 Dec 2017 13:21:49 +0100,
Ben Finney wrote:

> Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Are *you* using non-free firmware?
>
> The machines sold by, for example, ThinkPenguin, work with the latest
> Debian release, without non-free software. There's one example, which
> responds to the rhetoric of that question.

So can you point me to the free versions of the Intel microcode, the
Intel Management Engine, BIOS, firmware of the wireless chip, the
firmware of the hard disk, etc. that's running on that laptop?

Just because software comes pre-installed doesn't mean it is free. And
if it is also impossible to replace the software you also can't update
it with a free version so the user has even less freedom than when you
can replace the software with something else.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Dekkers