Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 23:41:34 +0500
Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 10:34:05AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > For the discoverability, I would be quite comfortable with putting both
> > the free and the non-free download links prominantly on the page with the
> > non-free link going to or closely tied with a page that discusses the
> > issues, explains why we have this installer even though we don't really
> > want to, and maybe links to the FSF Respects Your Freedom pages to suggest
> > a hardware alternative.
> There are alternatives?

As long as I avoid Nvidia, I usually have excellent luck finding systems
(specifically laptops) that work well without anything from non-free. With
servers, I usually need something for the networking drivers but nothing else.

--
Michael Lustfield