Re: allowed uses of non-baseline CPU extensions

Hi,

I believe that we haven't talked about another problem is that what if
one installing Debian in the portable drive and use it in another
computer.

Another scenario which has not been considered I think (apologies, I
skimmed quickly over part of the thread)...

I think that it's relatively common in big orgs, or at least I have seen
some insances not so long ago, to have things installed in one server
and exported via NFS to lots of clients, all of which are running
largely compatible CPUs (x86) but with clients being replaced with newer
hardware over time, and sometimes the servers.

I seem to remember some of these installations including dirs like /usr
or /, which surprised me at the time.

So these proposals might harm these kind of use cases -- please have
that into account when designing new solutions for this general problem.

Cheers.
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo@gmail.com>