Re: allowed uses of non-baseline CPU extensions

On Mon, 2017-10-23 at 16:47 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 04:36:11PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > sse2-support and other packages that fail to install can massively
> > screw up systems, potentially leaving dpkg in a state that people
> > cannot easily recover from - that is, apt-get install -f might not
> > be working at that point. We should not have such packages.
>
> It cleanly aborts installation in preinst.
>
> If there are any problems with that, they'd also apply to every other
> package with preinst that can possibly fail.

Anything with failing maintainer scripts is very much not nice,
especially for unexperienced users.

(One the reasons I don't like packages trying to be smart and configure
things, then break in the maintainer script. Dumb packages are more
friendly.)

Ansgar