Re: New: "cme run paste-license script" (was: Re: pasting license text into debian/copyright)

Hi Dominique,

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 07:39:10PM +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:

> > Sorry, I do not understand.  I the string CeCILL (with capital I) is in the
> > main license section.  Could you please be more verbose how d/copyright
> > needs to look like to make cme add the license text?
>
> Uh ? From a fresh git clone of beads, cat debian/copyright shows:
>
> +++++
> Format: https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/
> Upstream-Name: BEADS
> Upstream-Contact: Olivier Langella <olivier.langella@moulon.inra.fr>
> Source: http://pappso.inra.fr/bioinfo/beads/index.php
> Files-Excluded: */CImg.h
>
> Files: *
> Copyright: 2008-2010 Michel Zivy <zivy@moulon.inra.fr>, Olivier Langella
> <olivier.langella@moulon.inra.fr>
> License: CeCILL
>
> Files: debian/*
> Copyright: Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org>
> License: CeCILL
> ++++
>
> There's no main CeCILL section.

Could you please explain what you mean by "main section"?  For me

  Files: *

would qualify as "main section" but you seem to have a different
understanding of this term.

> And cme complains:
> $ cme check dpkg-copyright
> cme: using Dpkg::Copyright model
> Configuration item 'Files:"*" License short_name' has a wrong value:
>         license 'CeCILL' is not declared in main License section. Expected
>
> Admitedly, the error message is lackluster when main License section is empty.
> This will be fixed.

:-)

> It's just that cme uses a diff to show the delta between old and new value.
> It's not supposed to be used as a patch. May be I should just display a
> "changed" message when summarising the changes applied to a text parameter.

I think that's a more helpful output.

> > > cme should write debian/copyright provided no error is left.
> >
> > That's what I'd prefer.
>
> So we have a common goal :)

:-)

> > I admit I do not really like that GUI.
>
> I'm open to idea on how to improve the GUI while keeping it generic for the
> other models supported by cme (e.g ssh systemd itself ...)

I don't say that the GUI is bad - I just prefer a command line tool for
this job.

> > $ cme modify dpkg-copyright -force 'License:CeCILL text=.file(COPYING) !
> > Files:"*" License short_name=CeCILL Files:"debian/*" License
> > short_name=CeCILL' cme: using Dpkg::Copyright model
> > Warning: Files:"*" License short_name skipping value CeCILL because of the
> > following errors: license 'CeCILL' is not declared in main License section.
> [snip]
> > Hmmm, sorry, no change to d/copyright.
>
> Sorry, my bad. I dropped a '!' during cut'n'paste.
>
> Here's the right command tested on beads repo:
>
> $ cme modify dpkg-copyright -force 'License:CeCILL text=.file(COPYING) !
> Files:"*" License short_name=CeCILL ! Files:"debian/*" License
> short_name=CeCILL'

Ahhh, this helps. :-)
I just would love a way shorter command line since I somehow will never
remember this one. :-P

> $ git diff --stat
>  debian/copyright | 508 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
>  1 file changed, 507 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

> > No, sorry, I seem I totally fail to understand.  Why exactly can't cme
> > simply copy the text that is specified as CeCILL into my copyright?
>
> It did so, but refused to write the output due to errors.
>
> > Sorry for my probably very naive questions but obviously I do not
> > understand the philosphy behind.
>
> No problem. cme tries to address a very complicated problem and can be
> confusing when dealing with corner cases.

Just to let me understand better:  I understood this thread that way
that creating the license text in a proper form is a goal of this
specific cme option.  In how far is the problem above a corner case.

> Thanks for your patience and questions. This is invaluable to improve the
> usability of cme. :-)

You are welcome - the thanks goes to you who does all the coding work

    Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de