Re: Unsustainable debian/rules as official build entry point?

On Wed, 2017-10-18 at 11:54 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 at 11:57:55 +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> > Building some packages for GNU/Hurd has been impossible in the
> > past, since also tests are run under fakeroot.
>
> Is there some reason why this would be Hurd-specific? Is fakeroot's
> emulation of real root significantly more limited on Hurd, or do the
> Hurd buildds invoke builds differently, or something?

The problems was revealed when fakeroot was flaky (native
implementation). That fakeroot problem is now solved.

> dbus fails build-time tests under fakeroot on all architectures
> (or at least, I would expect it to, because it tests AF_UNIX
> credentials-passing), which makes me wonder why this failure mode
> would have manifested on Hurd and not Linux in the past. I would have
> expected packages whose tests don't like fakeroot to either succeed
> equally on both, or fail equally on both, if unrelated reasons for
> failure are ignored.

Yes, you are right. From what I remember most packages either succeed
or fail when tests are run when run under fakeroot for all
architectures. In my opinion tests should never be run under fakeroot
(i.e. in the binary target) except when requested specifically (cannot
be solved by a buildd?). The problem is the same as for tests requiring
internet connections, which are not allowed, right?