Re: build* targets as root

On Wed, 2017-10-18 at 11:30:29 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 at 11:36:41 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > Apparently this caused mass build failures, all due to packages (or
> > their helpers) being very Debian policy non-compliant! These are all
> > MUST requirements. Stuff like:
> >   - build-targets [...] must be able to be
> >     run with root privs (via binary-target invocation)
>
> Which Policy requirements combine to imply this?

From 4.9§:

,---
   binary (required), binary-arch (required), binary-indep (required)

     The binary target must be all that is necessary for the user to
     build the binary package(s) produced from this source package. It
     is split into two parts: binary-arch builds the binary packages
     which are specific to a particular architecture, and binary-indep
     builds those which are not.

     …

     Both binary-* targets should depend on the build target, or on the
     appropriate build-arch or build-indep target, so that the package
     is built if it has not been already. It should then create the
     relevant binary package(s), using dpkg-gencontrol to make their
     control files and dpkg-deb to build them and place them in the
     parent of the top level directory.

     …

     The binary targets must be invoked as root.
`---

And while the second paragraph is strictly speaking a SHOULD, I take
it to mean that these targets should be depended on somehow even if
transitively (there's a bug on policy about precisely that). Because
the first paragraph overrides the second one. Otherwise if we had
different build paths depending on whether one has just called «binary»
or «build + binary» that would be broken too IMO. See for example this
paragraph:

,---
   build (required)

     …

     For some packages, notably ones where the same source tree is
     compiled in different ways to produce two binary packages, the
     build target does not make much sense. For these packages it is
     good enough to provide two (or more) targets (build-a and build-b
     or whatever) for each of the ways of building the package, and a
     build target that does nothing. The binary target will have to
     build the package in each of the possible ways and make the binary
     package out of each.

     …
`---

…

> So if Policy indirectly requires the build* targets to work under
> fakeroot, I would prefer to see that part of Policy change.

On the general problem of using (fake)root, the correct solution is IMO
to stop having to use (fake)root at all. This should be possible in the
future with R³, which we'll be announcing shortly on a separate thread.

But IMO that's a bit besides the point here, the real point is that the
current debian/rules full interface is not being checked for comformance,
and it's decaying anyway. And only what dpkg-buildpackage exposes is. :/

Thanks,
Guillem