Re: Alioth: the future of mailing lists

Hi Paul,

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 06:20:24PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > Could anybody provide VMs as a service to a group of DDs?
>
> Several companies provide hosting for Debian services:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/ServicesHosting#Outside_the_Debian_infrastructure

My point was: I was supported by "several hosters" but I would like to
relay on a single one over a long time (> 10 years).

Regarding the list I know three of them: Gandi provided discounts for
DDs for *private* usage - finally I was more happy with Hetzner for
my private VMs.

As I mentioned I had hosted {blends,debian-med}.debian.net at GPLhost
(thanks to them) for free but I needed a more performant machine and
this was provided by someone who had some contact to RackSpace (I did
not cared - just took the better equiped machine).  Unfortunately I have
heard rumors (not clear yet) that the latter offer might be
discontinued.  So I'm aware of some of the offers.

The thing is that I needed to migrate several times for different
reasons sometimes needed to manage different management interfaces and
so on.  I'd love a service where I can specify the parameters of the
machine I need and just get a DNS name for a machine with this specs
where I can install a service and do not need to care about who is
hosting this, who cares for the management of the VM etc.

May be I'm dreaming but in the case where I was responding to Mike
would be really happy to get the VM he has specified and than just
care for running mailman on it.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--