Re: e2fsprogs as Essential: yes?

On Mon, 2017-10-02 at 13:20 +0000, Felipe Sateler wrote:
[...]
> for preinst/postrm and thus may be problematic:
>
> 1. e2fsck-static (appears to be false positive)
> 2. lilo (uses kernel preinst hook)
> 3. blktrace (appears false positive)
>
> I don't know how the kernel hook works, is it problematic?
[...]

Kernel hook scripts are run by the corresponding maintainer scripts of
kernel packages (in all package implementations I know of).  The
postinst hook scripts are also run by 'make install' if the target is
/.

The lilo hack using chattr to prevent kernel images moving around on
xfs seems like a policy violation to me, though I can't find an
explicit ban on modifying files belonging to other packages (other than
configuration files).  It is, at least, opt-in.

(But this hack isn't complete, because lilo doesn't make-immutable the
kernel images that were installed before lilo, or to undo this if it is
removed.  So far as I can see, that would make all kernel packages un-
removable!)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.