Re: e2fsprogs as Essential: yes?

Hi,

On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 00:45:39 +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:

> In 2011 Steve Langasek proposed dropping Essential: yes from e2fsprogs.
>
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 11:47:08AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> Currently the e2fsprogs package is marked Essential: yes in the
>> archive.  Is this a historical holdover?  I believe e2fsprogs used to
>> ship /sbin/fsck, but since 2009 (i.e., util-linux (>= 2.15~rc1-1),
>> which e2fsprogs has a pre-depends on), this has been provided by
>> util-linux instead.
>>
>> The remaining programs provided by e2fsprogs are all specific to the
>> ext* family of filesystems, so I don't think meet the definition of
>> Essential any longer - their presence is certainly important if you
>> have an ext[234] filesystem, but while this is the default, you can
>> have systems that don't use ext* at all, which makes e2fsprogs no more
>> essential in nature than the other per-filesystem fsck tools.
>>
>> Now that the transition to util-linux is done in a stable release, is
>> it time for us to drop the Essential: yes flag from e2fsprogs?  This
>> will benefit those targetting embedded systems that don't use ext,
>> where the package will be dead weight; the risk of any packages
>> assuming availability of these e2fs-specific interfaces without a
>> dependency is quite low; and we're at the right point in the cycle to
>> make changes to the Essential set, where we have time to deal with any
>> unexpected fallout.
>
> Since then we have fully transitioned to systemd and init has become
> non-essential. The issue around pulling e2fsprogs into essential via
> logsave has thus solved itself.
>
> I think we should revisit this proposal now that it becomes practical.

Thanks for resuming this work.

> To get us going, I have come up with a plan:
>
> 1) Analyze which packages would need dependencies on e2fsprogs.

>From what I gather in the files you attached, these packages are flagged
for preinst/postrm and thus may be problematic:

1. e2fsck-static (appears to be false positive)
2. lilo (uses kernel preinst hook)
3. blktrace (appears false positive)

I don't know how the kernel hook works, is it problematic?

> 2) File a bug against lintian to stop complaining about e2fsprogs
>    dependencies.

+1

> 3) MBF those packages that need an e2fsprogs dependency.
> 4) Drop Essential: yes from e2fsprogs.

As Adam mentioned, we will need to wait one release to drop the
Essential: yes bit :( . Alternatively, e2fsck would have to gain Breaks:
against all unfixed rdeps. For such a core package I think this might be
problematic for upgrades, but I haven't tested.

> So I thought, "how hard can it be?" All we need to do is grep the
> archive for those tools and add those dependencies. So I unpacked sid
> main amd64 and grepped[1] each and every file (potentially decompressing
> gzip) for those e2fsprogs. The results[2] are 5666 occurrences in 1250
> binary packages. From there, I started looking[3] into the actual uses
> and filtered common non-uses such as documentation, debug symbols,
> kernel images, locales and other stuff. I manually checked the remaining
> packages and thus went down[4] to 318 occurrences in 133 binary
> packages. Thus I arrive at the final dd-list (attached) for an MBF. We
> can now say that our package lists will increase by less than 1.5kb
> uncompressed if we make e2fsprogs non-essential. In comparison, the
> average binary package weighs 767 bytes. I believe that the method used
> is mostly free from false negatives (by looking for bare program names
> in each and every file) and has a manageable number of false positives.
>
> I think we can check off the analysis part. How about proceeding with
> the lintian bug and the MBF now? Did I miss anything?

I think this is OK. Thanks again for the work, and I think we should
proceed. The earlier, the better!

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler