Re: Proposal: A new approach to differential debs

* Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> [170813 13:19]:
> On 08/13/2017 07:11 PM, Peter Silva wrote:
> >> apt by default automatically deletes packages files after a successful install,
> >
> > I don't think it does that.
>
> The "apt" command line tool doesn't, but traditional "apt-get" does, as
> does "aptitude". This was documented in the release notes of Jessie and
> the changelog of the APT package when the "apt" wrapper was introduced.

This differs from my experience.  My laptop's /var/cache/apt/archives/
directory has 3459 .deb files.  I use aptitude almost exclusively, and I
update several times a week.

Is there an apt.conf parameter that controls this?  I don't remember
seeing any news or changelog about this, but if I did, I might have
disabled it.  Or maybe there is an apt.conf entry, whose default is to
not do apt-get clean after each install, but newly installed systems
have a snippet in /etc/apt.conf.d/ that turns it on?

Can you give the version number in /usr/share/doc/apt/changelog.gz where
this was mentioned?  A cursory glance through the Jessie release notes
(HTML) TOC doesn't give any obvious pointer to where this was mentioned;
can you give a ref for this as well?  (This is an honest question, I'm
not trying to be accusatory.)

Thanks...Marvin