Re: Proposal: A new approach to differential debs

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 02:16:21PM -0400, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> I think delta debs are generally a thing we should aim to have,

It sounds like something that would have been a cool feature 20 years
ago when I was downloading Debian updates over an analog modem.

Today the required effort, infrastructure and added complexity would
IMHO not be worth it for a potential few percent of bandwidth decrease.

> The .diff.tar member contains patches to apply to individual
> files of the old package. No idea about specific algorithm
> to choose here, yet.

Do you really want to ship *patches*, and not just copies of all
changed files?

Patching binaries to a new upstream version doesn't sound to me like
something that would make sense.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.