Re: Naming of network devices - how to improve it in buster

On 07/11/2017 03:08 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

I wonder if anyone actually uses /dev/disk/by-path?

It's useful for a quick "ls -l /dev/disk/by-path | grep 'sda$;" to figure out which port a disk is plugged into. I'm sure there are other ways, probably better ones... but that one is easy to remember when I've been paged by a disk failure.

Also useful to make sure all the ports on an array are being e.g., monitored, even after changing a disk (which of course changes the /dev/disk/by-id/). Of course, a lot of times just doing all devices instead makes sense.