Re: Naming of network devices - how to improve it in buster

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 12:14:59 +0200
Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org> wrote:

> So, what can we do to improve the situation and get the best of both
> worlds?

systemd.link(5) describes a NamePolicy option for interface names.
I would suggest to introduce a new policy "keep" to stick with
the native interface names assigned by the kernel ("INTERFACE",
see "udevadm info /sys/class/net/eth0", for example).

Advantages:

- its easy to configure (much better than using kernel command
  line options
- easy to implement (hopefully)
- you can still have the reproducible interface names, even if you
  have only one NIC

Please note that systemd.link is read by udev, i.e. it is not bound
to systemd.

Regards
Harri