Re: building a debian kernel package(s) for a foreign architecture

On Wed, 2017-07-05 at 23:43 +0900, Roger Shimizu wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 11:35 PM, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've never done much in the way of cross-compiling before. I understand it
> > was once very hard, is now much easier, and is considerably easier for
> > "simple" packages (including the kernel) than others.
> >
> > That said, I'm lost/stuck trying to cross-compile the Debian Linux kernel
> > package for ARM64 (target is a Raspberry Pi 3) from an amd64 builder. I
> > believe
> > I do not need to use multiarch for my builder, yet dpkg-buildpackage (if I
> > supply -a aarch64, interestingly ARM64 doesn't work) complains of unmet
> > build
> > dependencies, which I have resolved for amd64.  But perhaps -a to
> > dpkg-buildpackage is the wrong approach.
> >
> > Can someone please point me to the relevant idiot's guide?
>
> I ever created one:
> - https://wiki.debian.org/HowToCrossBuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage
>
> Hope it helps you.
> And if you find something not current and need modify, please just edit it.
> Thank you!

Why does that talk about building from the git repository, rather than
a source package (which duplicates the instructions at
https://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html)?

For cross-building generally you should use the 'cross' build profile.
And for linux specifically you can also use the 'pkg.linux.notools'
build profile to disable the userland packages, which greatly reduces
the build depdendencies.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Anthony's Law of Force: Don't force it, get a larger hammer.