building a debian kernel package(s) for a foreign architecture

Hi folks,

I've never done much in the way of cross-compiling before. I understand it was once very hard, is now much easier, and is considerably easier for "simple" packages (including the kernel) than others.

That said, I'm lost/stuck trying to cross-compile the Debian Linux kernel
package for ARM64 (target is a Raspberry Pi 3) from an amd64 builder. I believe
I do not need to use multiarch for my builder, yet dpkg-buildpackage (if I supply -a aarch64, interestingly ARM64 doesn't work) complains of unmet build dependencies, which I have resolved for amd64. But perhaps -a to dpkg-buildpackage is the wrong approach.

Can someone please point me to the relevant idiot's guide?

Thanks

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://jmtd.net