Re: When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)

Simon McVittie writes ("Re: When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)"):
> On Wed, 17 May 2017 at 13:33:06 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> >  * Websites which reorganise themselves through CSS and/or JavScript
> >    to try to produce a better selection of visibloe bits depending on
> >    the screen size.
> The jargon term for this is *responsive design*. [...]

Thanks for the explanation.

> The problem, apart from smartphone screens just not being very big,
> is that mobile browsers and websites are engaged in a "do what
> I mean" loop where each side works around bugs in the other.

Gaaaaagh, world is so shit.  Fine, whatever.

> It looks as though the Debian website (or at least its front page)
> already has responsive design and the necessary runes to make mobile
> browsers make use of it, although it could perhaps benefit from
> dropping more content (requiring extra clicks instead) at small sizes.

OK, good.

I don't have any clear idea show close the views of the Debian project
as whole are to the ones I expressed in my article, but I'm pretty
sure that my views as expressed there are at least those of a
significant and vocal minority :-).  They might even be the majority
view, but we sowouldn't be able to tell without a GR - and let's not.

Thanks,
Ian.