Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?

On Sun, 2017-05-14 at 23:26 +0200, Zlatan Todoric wrote:

> On 05/14/2017 11:06 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >
> > Here's a tally of live packaging repositories hosted on Alioth, based
> > on Vcs fields for sources in unstable:
> >
> > $ for type in arch bzr cvs darcs git hg mtn svn; do
> > >     printf '%s: ' $type
> > >     grep-dctrl -FVcs-$type -sPackage 'debian.org' /var/lib/apt/lists/httpredir.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_*_Sources \
> > >     | wc -l
> > > done \
> >
> > git: 18907
> > svn: 2377
> > bzr: 71
> > hg: 27
> > darcs: 22
> > arch: 7
> > cvs: 2
> > mtn: 0
> >
> > It looks like git hosting would cover ~90% and git+svn would cover
> > >99%.
>
> Or convert svn ones to git and simplify things?

That's not easy to do in general, as svn doesn't require you to label
which parts of the directory hierarchy are tags or branches... or to
separate independent projects.  There are conventions that make it
easier to guess, but:

- Not everything follows them
- Repositories can be reorganised so that branches move between
directories
- It's entirely possible to copy to from the wrong directory level when
tagging, which results in nonsensical history even if you revert the
change

Here's what it took for the kernel svn repository:
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/d-k-conversion.git/tree/kernel.rules
But svn2git still couldn't handle everything, so we needed a lot of
post-processing in this script too:
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/d-k-conversion.git/tree/convert.sh

I suspect this was one of the messier repositories, but I'm also sure
it's not the only one that could not be handled automatically.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.