Re: System libraries and the GPLv2

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 07:23:25 -0400 Richard Fontana wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:37:32PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:

> > > This, I would say, encapsulates the real Fedora/Red Hat position on
> > > this issue to the extent there is one. It assumes that the intent of
> > > the copyright holders can be determined from their actions.
> >
> > What about programs that link both with OpenSSL and with a
> > third party purely-GPL-licensed library?
>
> I don't think that would change anything, but maybe I'm overlooking
> something.

I think the outcome would change significantly.

The copyright holders of the purely-GPL-licensed library (e.g.
readline) have never granted any linking exception, explicitly or
implicitly. They are not the ones who implemented support for OpenSSL
in the program.

Other developers designed and implemented the program, which links with
the purely-GPL-licensed library and with OpenSSL at the same time.

In this scenario, you can determine the intent of the program copyright
holders, but what you need is a linking exception from the
purely-GPL-licensed library copyright holders, not from the program
copyright holders!

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!