Re: System libraries and the GPLv2

On 29/03/17 19:37, Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 14:49:48 +0200 Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:
>
> [...]
>> I think that any package that is essential for the base OS
>> (aka Priority: required) should qualify for the system exception.
>
> Well, for the record, package libssl1.0.2 is Priority: important,
> hence, even with this criterion, it would not qualify...

Right.

But the policy itself still makes a lot of sense (IMHO), and it can be
useful for more libraries other than OpenSSL.

Hopefully OpenSSL will re-license soon to Apache 2.0.
Then it may [1] be "only" incompatible with GPLv2-only software.
But in the worst case, it will be compatible with GPLv2+ and GPLv3.

Regards
-------

[1]
IANAL