Re: Help requested: Packages which FTBFS randomly

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 01:12:33PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> Believe me, this is also frustrating for me. If you absolutely need a
> machine to reproduce this, contact me privately.

If someone creates a patch, then the bug is much more likely to get fixed,
whether it's RC or not.  Any FTBFS that needs an entire VM with an
unusual-configuration to reproduce may be RC, but it's another RC bug that when
volunteers look at the RC bug list, they think "I don't know where to start on
that one".

For these single-CPU buildds, there's a simple way to reproduce it at least the
bug that I looked at in a debugging environment, by using the taskset command
from package util-linux to run the build on CPU #0 only:

$ taskset --cpu-list 0 dpkg-buildpackage -A

For changing policy, I think "must be able to build using a single CPU, for
example using (taskset and the FreeBSD and Hurd equivalents), because otherwise
there's obviously a race condition somewhere" would be much clearer.

Steve