Re: De-Branding of Icedove, reintroducing Thunderbird packages into Debian

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 07:15:38PM +0100, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> there is a reason why we decided to not delete anything here that is
> related to the users scope. We don't want delete user files and
> configuration as the impact of a deleted folder or files is much bigger
> as not used backup of a folder. So we have to go into one direction in
> the end.

I agree with this reasoning, but I think (if I understand things correctly)
I am still concerned about the idea of this migration stuff being run every
time automatically when you invoke thunderbird (by having it added into the
/usr/bin/thunderbird wrapper directly).

Could the migration stuff be in a separate script, that a user must manually
invoke?

I've seen Firefox occasionally say it needed to perform a migration to cope
with changes in something-or-other when it has updated. Is any chunk of that
logic available to hook into with Thunderbird?

I suppose you could have some prompting logic in the wrapper that would warn
about the presence of the old location and point the user at a separate
migration tool, which could inform the user that they now have two copies of
their profile, pre- and post migration, and to perform cleanup if they are
happy.

We're in freeze now too, and it feels a little worrying to be working on
something this tricky at such a time. As pointed out to me on IRC, though,
it's probably better than post-release, at least.

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.