Re: De-Branding of Icedove, reintroducing Thunderbird packages into Debian

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 12:35:52PM -0500, Christoph Goehre wrote:
> Thunderbird is back in Debian! We also renamed other related packages to
> use official names, e.g. iceowl-extension -> lightning.

While I stick to Iceweasel, this isn't anywhere as visible for Icedove so
I'll grudgingly accept this one. :þ

> With the change to the official Mozilla branding the users profile(s) will also
> be changing from '$HOME/.icedove' to '$HOME/.thunderbird' so we need to migrate
> the profile folder. This is done by /usr/bin/thunderbird, a wrapper script,
> which does the following things during initial startup:
>
> * Copy the contents of the old profile folder into the new folder ~/.icedove_moved_by_thunderbird_starter

I see no deletion step.  This is bad for a couple of reasons:
* my .icedove takes north of 2GB (mostly imap cache of multiple servers),
  one of my users clocks above 7GB for a single server
* if you have some sensitive mail and delete it, you really don't want a
  copy to stick forever.  Especially if you then go through a border...

Meow!
--
Autotools hint: to do a zx-spectrum build on a pdp11 host, type:
  ./configure --host=zx-spectrum --build=pdp11