Re: If you can't describe what the package is, you probably should not Intend To Package it.

El dt 31 de 01 de 2017 a les 21:44 +1100, en/na Ben Finney va escriure:
> Howdy all,
>
> If your Intention To Package a work for Debian is not accompanied by
> an
> appropriate description of the package, I argue you do not yet know
> what
> the package is well enough to file that ITP.
>
> A lot of the recent Intent To Package reports for Node.js pacakge
> have
> come with *terrible* package descriptions. They are usually far too
> short, and they seem to be copied from the NPM metadata without
> explaining it for a Debian audience.
>
> When I ask about some of these[0], the responses in some cases reveal
> that the author of the ITP expected that no-one should be reading it,
> and certainly that the description was not important.
>
> Is someone teaching newcomers to just automatically file ITP bug
> reports, without writing a proper package description? If so,
> *please*
> stop doing that, it teaches unfriendly habits from the start and it
> makes the ITP almost useless.

I know dh-make-golang creates an "ITP template" that you edit to
correct/improve the autogenerated stuff, and the description comes
directly from the README.md in the github repo. I wonder if the nodejs
stuff does something similar and that's where the not so great
descriptions come from.

Jordi
jordi@sindominio.net     jordi@debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/