Re: What is exactly the "canonical URI" for Vcs-{Git,Browser}?

Quoting Roger Shimizu (2017-01-20 14:40:06)
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 9:19 PM, Boyuan Yang <073plan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 在 2017年1月20日星期五 SGT 下午12:45:53,Sebastiaan Couwenberg 写道:

> >> These are the ones you should use, because both use encryption for the
> >> connection and contrary to git+ssh URLs, and account on Alioth is not
> >> required to checkout.
> >
> > Well... this is not exactly what I mean. When we compare
> >
> > Vcs-Git: https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-foo/bar.git
> > Vcs-Browser: https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-foo/bar.git
> >
> > with
> >
> > Vcs-Git: https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-foo/bar.git
> > Vcs-Browser: https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-foo/bar.git
> >
> > I would use the latter one. Would that be better?
>
> The former one is better.
> But latter one also works. It wasn't OK, but after the thread I posted
> [0], admin add rewrite rules to make "git" the same as "cgit".
>
> [0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/01/threads.html#00309
>
> Originally, "cgit" is for web browser to see, and "git" is for "git
> clone" or "git remote add" to checkout the source tree.
> Rewrite rules of web server makes them equivalent.

Oh, that change making them equivalent interesting.  Thanks!

Now that the latter is supported, I would agree with Boyuan that a
single generic URL is preferred.

What makes the former (still) a better choice?

 - Jonas